Bringing a packed lunch to work or making lunch at home is a great way to save money but also a great way of knowing exactly what it is you are eating. This can be particularly important for those following a low FODMAP diet.
Lots of people struggle for inspiration on their packed lunches and this can be even more challenging for those on a low FODMAP diet. You don’t need to just have sandwiches for your lunch!
Here are three easy and healthy ideas for lunch time meals to bring with you to work or at home and to help you feel fully satisfied. Everyone will be jealous of your packed lunch!
Salmon served with Pak Choi and Rice Noodles (2 portions)
- 2 salmon fillets
- Beansprouts (one packet)
- Rice noodles – instant / just add hot water (1 nest per person)
- 3 tbs fish sauce
- Pak choi (Chinese cabbage – as much as this as you like, it wilts down once it is cooked)
- 2 tsp garlic infused oil
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1.5tbs oyster sauce
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Cook salmon in the oven or under the grill with garlic infused oil and a drizzle of lemon juice. Follow the cooking instructions provided on the packet, but will roughly take 17 minutes under the grill or 20-25 minutes in the oven.
- Chop the pak choi and ginger.
- Boil the rice or noodles.
- Cook the pak choi, ginger, bean sprouts with the fish sauce, garlic infused oil, and oyster sauce on a high heat for 5-10 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked but still have their crunchy texture.
- Serve up with instant rice noodles with the vegetables and flake the salmon on top. Leave to cool thoroughly before refrigerating.
Homemade Vegetable Soup (6 portions)
- 2 carrots
- 1 celeriac
- 1 turnip
- 1 swede
- 1 parsnip
- 2 potatoes
- 1 tbs garlic infused oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 tbs cumin powder
- Peel and chop all the vegetables into cubes as well as the ginger.
- Fry for 2 minutes in the garlic infused oil, add the salt, pepper, curry powder, cumin powder.
- Add boiling water to cover the vegetables,
- Allow to simmer for half an hour or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Either serve the soup as it is or blend it.
Allow to cool in Tupperware and keep refrigerated or frozen until ready to eat.
Pasta With Greek Style Salad (4 portions)
- 300g gluten free pasta
- 1 pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 chicken breasts.
- ½ jar of olives
- ½ cucumber
- 200g feta cheese
- 1 tbs garlic infused oil
- 1tbs lemon juice
- 1tbs balsamic vinegar
- Boil the pasta in a pan
- Chop the chicken breasts into chunks and fry with garlic oil.Fry until the chicken is cooked through.
- Chop the tomatoes, pepper, cucumber and feta.
- Make the dressing by mixing the garlic oil, balsamic and lemon juice together.
- Add the pasta, vegetables, chicken, feta and olives to a large bowl and pour the dressing. Place into your containers and keep refrigerated.
Enjoy your packed lunches!!!
By student dietitian Bethany Florey
Edited & reviewed by dietitian Kirsten Crothers