Being on the low FODMAP diet can be difficult if you are vegetarian so we have put together 35 low FODMAP vegetarian recipes for you.
We understand that the low FODMAP diet can be restrictive and confusing. So, we want to make menu planning and meal prepping easier for you. We will also touch on low FODMAP protein sources that you can use whilst following a low FODMAP vegetarian diet.
You may feel you don’t have enough time in the morning to have a low FODMAP breakfast. However, try planning or even prepping these low FODMAP vegetarian breakfast recipes the day ahead.
5 Sweet Breakfast Low FODMAP Vegetarian Recipes:
- Low FODMAP Breakfast Quinoa
- Low FODMAP overnight oats and chia
- Choose a smoothie recipe from our 25 low FODMAP smoothies post
- The Best Low FODMAP Blueberry Muffins
- Low FODMAP Fluffy Pancakes
5 Savoury Breakfast Low FODMAP Vegetarian Recipes:
- Low FODMAP Egg Shakshuka
- Low FODMAP Mediterranean Omelet
- Low FODMAP Tortilla Baked Eggs
- Low FODMAP Spinach and Cheddar Muffins
- Moist Almond Flour Muffins
Lunch and Dinner
Now for the main event! We know that meal times can feel isolated if you have IBS. This is more challenging when you don’t know what to cook for yourself or friends.
So whether you are looking for a low FODMAP vegetarian recipe for a quick and easy midweek meal or you are hosting for friends – we have you covered.
5 Easy Midweek Lunch and Dinner Low FODMAP Vegetarian Recipes:
- Low FODMAP 30-Minute Fried Rice
- Egg and New Potato Salad
- Jamie’s Green’s Mac ‘n’ Cheese (low FODMAP)
- Low FODMAP Pad Thai
- Low FODMAP Roasted Pumpkin Pasta
5 Lunch or Dinner Party Low FODMAP Vegetarian Recipes:
- Low FODMAP Vegetable Risotto
- Courgette and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Spinach and Sweet Potato Tortilla
- Miso Roasted Tofu with Sweet Potato
- Low FODMAP Spanakopita Spinach Pie
Snacks may be the part where it is easier to slip up on the low FODMAP diet. Whilst you are on the go, it is easy to rush and accidentally pick up a high FODMAP snack without realising.
Here are 10 snacks you can make for the week and take with you on a day out, to work or simply enjoy at home.
5 Sweet Snack Low FODMAP Vegetarian Recipes:
- Low FODMAP Pumpkin Pie Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
- Lime and Coconut Ice Lollies
- Low FODMAP Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- No Bake Choc Oat Cookies
- Low FODMAP Crunchy Salted Caramel Bark
5 Sweet Savoury Low FODMAP Vegetarian Recipes:
- Low FODMAP Red Pepper and Walnut Dip
- Carrot Fries
- Low FODMAP Cheesy Zucchini and Carrot Slice
- Low FODMAP Snack Mix
You may think desserts are off limits when on the low FODMAP diet. However, this is certainly not the case! Many dessert recipes can be adapted to cater for a low FODMAP diet.
For example, instead of using ordinary plain flour in baking, you can use low FODMAP flour. Another trick is to swap cow’s milk with lactose-free versions or low FODMAP plant-based alternatives. You can read more about low FODMAP milks by checking out or post on Does Low FODMAP Milk Exist?.
- Gluten-free Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Low FODMAP Cookie Dough
- Low FODMAP Chocolate Pudding Cake
- Low FODMAP Strawberry Raspberry Crisp
- Low FODMAP Strawberry and Lemon Curd Trifle
Protein and the Low FODMAP Vegetarian Diet
There are many sources of protein that might fit into a vegetarian diet, however they may not be low FODMAP. Therefore, you should be careful and ensure you are swapping these with suitable low FODMAP options throughout the day.
5 top tips for meeting your protein requirements whilst on a vegetarian low FODMAP diet:
- You can use lactose-free dairy or plant-based alternatives that are higher in protein, such as soy protein milk.
- Include naturally low-lactose cheese such as cheddar or feta.
- Use plain, un-seasoned Quorn products.
- Include eggs in your breakfast using the recipes we have shared in this post.
- Snack on low FODMAP nuts and nut butters such as peanut butter.
We have listed some further suitable protein sources on our post 35 low FODMAP vegan recipes.
We hope the 35 low FODMAP vegetarian recipes that we have shared in this post help you to feel more confident when following the low FODMAP diet.
The low FODMAP diet requires careful planning and prepping. We have therefore included a great selection of breakfast, lunch and dinner low FODMAP vegetarian recipes, alongside delicious snacks and desserts for in between. So whether you are looking for recipes to make and enjoy at home, or take out with you on the go, these will help you get started!
And a reminder to carefully select low FODMAP protein sources using our top tips above in order to meet your protein needs throughout the day.
Article written by Bethany Willson, Specialist Gastroenterology Dietitian, reviewed by Kirsten Jackson, Consultant Dietitian BSc Hons, RD, PG Cert
Beth is UK HCPC Registered Dietitian who specialises in gastrointestinal surgery. Beth graduated from University of Surrey in 2020 with a degree in Nutrition and Dietetics.
Last updated on September 1st, 2023 at 06:06 pm