Panicking about low FODMAP vegetarian recipes? Look no further. If you wish to continue your vegetarian diet, the low FODMAP diet will not stop you.
This blog post is packed with low FODMAP vegetarian recipes for any time of day and occasion that you may have coming up.
Can you be vegetarian whilst on the low FODMAP diet?
You can absolutely be a vegetarian on the low FODMAP diet. You’ve come to the right place for all the low FODMAP vegetarian recipes to help you!
It is likely to take more planning about what you eat rather than grabbing things on the go.
Furthermore the elimination phase of the diet is relatively short, so if you are struggling – know that this is not forever.
Low FODMAP vegetarian recipes: breakfast
Many studies show the benefit of eating breakfast. Breakfast consumers are more likely to meet daily requirements for vital micronutrients than those who skip breakfast! (1)
Particularly if you are on the low FODMAP diet, this has increased importance so you can still feel your best whilst in the elimination phase.
Popular breakfast options such as toast contain FODMAPs such as galacto-oligosaccharides and fructans.
It does also depend on the type of bread you choose, the Monash food app can help guide you with this if you don’t want to miss out on toast for breakfast.
Other options such as cereal, muesli or granola may contain FODMAPs due to sometimes using honey, sweeteners or regular sugar to sweeten it or added dried fruits.
Here are 5 low FODMAP vegetarian breakfast recipes that will keep you going throughout the day.
- 3-Ingredient Low FODMAP High Protein Pancakes
- Low FODMAP Mini Frittatas Your Way
- Low FODMAP Overnight Oats & Chia
- Low FODMAP & Gluten-Free Gingersnap Granola
- Low FODMAP Egg Shakshuka
If you don’t want to miss out on your morning granola, our low FODMAP granola recipe is definitely not one to miss.
If you are not much of a breakfast lover, low FODMAP smoothies could be a great option for you to try.
Low FODMAP vegetarian recipes: lunch
Already thinking about your next meal whilst on the low FODMAP diet?
Depending on whether you are eating at the office or at home here are some vegetarian friendly recipes for you:
- Kale, feta and crispy chickpea salad
- Low FODMAP Hummus Wrap
- Low FODMAP Sweet Potato Tacos with Black Beans
- Low FODMAP Vegetable, Pasta & Bean Soup
- Spinach and Quinoa Vegan Meal Prep Bowls
Low FODMAP vegetarian recipes: evening meals
Fancy something that is filling, nutritious and balanced whilst on a low FODMAP vegetarian diet?
We’ve rounded up some hearty meals that might just become a staple for you whilst on the low FODMAP diet.
- FODMAP friendly vegan lasagne
- Low FODMAP Thai Curry Tofu & Green Beans
- FODMAP Friendly vegetarian moussaka (vegan option)
- Easy Low FODMAP Pizza
- Roasted Ratatouille Low FODMAP Vegetarian Enchiladas
Low FODMAP vegetarian recipes: snacks
As part of a healthy and balanced diet, snacks are not discouraged. Particularly if you are starting a new diet that requires a lot of changes!
When choosing snacks, the typical choices of cereal bars, biscuits or certain fruits and dried fruits which contain FODMAPs.
Most of those examples listed above will contain too much of the FODMAP fructan. So whilst on the low FODMAP diet you will need to avoid these as snack options.
Snacks help to keep you feeling concentrated and alert.
You would not want to feel hungry whilst on your normal diet, so you’ll be glad to know it’s no different on the low FODMAP diet either.
Depending on whether you have a sweet tooth or not, we have included some recipes to specifically cater for this that are low FODMAP friendly.
Getting from meal to meal made easier with low FODMAP vegetarian options.
- Gluten-free chocolate crinkle cookies (nut free, grain free and vegan option)
- Low FODMAP Blueberry Muffins
- Frozen grapes
- Low FODMAP stuffed Medjool dates
- Gluten-free pumpkin mug cake (vegan)
If you are more of a savory person, we also have you covered. Here are our top 5 savory vegetarian snack recipes;
- Gluten free corn fritters (low FODMAP)
- FODMAP-friendly spring onion dip
- FODMAP-friendly spinach feta rolls (gluten free, nut free option)
- FODMAP friendly hummus (gluten free, nut free)
- Low FODMAP Baked Feta with Honey, Walnuts & Thyme
Our blog offers 35 low FODMAP snacks, pick out the vegetarian options that suit you!
Worry not, you can still finish your meal without missing out whilst on dessert.
Whether you are fancying warm dessert options to have on colder nights or refreshing on a warm day, the following recipes have catered for this!
- Low FODMAP Banana Bread
- Low FODMAP Strawberry & Lemon Curd Trifle
- Low FODMAP Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Low FODMAP Cheesecake
- Low FODMAP Sunshine Popsicles
Low FODMAP vegetarian cake recipes
Whether you have a reason to celebrate or cake is on the menu, low FODMAP vegetarian options do exist.
Most of the time a bit of home baking is required to achieve this.
The following cake recipes cater for the whole family so you might just wow them with these low FODMAP options.
- Low FODMAP Carrot Cake
- Low FODMAP Blackout Cake
- Low FODMAP Yellow Snack Cake With Rainbow Sprinkles
- Supreme Low-FODMAP Red Velvet Cupcakes / Red Velvet Layer Cake
- Beautiful Low-FODMAP Pavlova; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
Whilst water is the main fluid of choice, it’s nice to have options and mix things up a bit.
Low FODMAP drink options don’t need to be complicated, here are some easy recipes to give a go!
- Low FODMAP Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Low FODMAP Blueberry Smoothie
- Easy Low FODMAP Pumpkin Spiced Latte
- Low FODMAP Peach Iced Tea
- Low FODMAP Soothing Hot Lemon Ginger Drink
Further gut friendly beverages can be found on our blog too!
Low FODMAP vegetarian recipes: Party
Whilst on the low FODMAP diet, you do not want to feel like you can’t go to social occasions.
Below are some recipes that will help you feel like not missing out on all the fun.
- FODMAP friendly vegetarian sausage rolls (gluten free)
- 3x Low FODMAP bruschetta toppings
- Low FODMAP Nachos (also gluten-free and lactose-free)
- Low FODMAP devilled eggs – 3 variations
- 3x low FODMAP dips + snack platter
You can have alcohol whilst on the low FODMAP diet, you may find that alcohol is a particular trigger for your IBS symptoms.
Whilst we are all encouraged to reduce our alcohol intake it can be enjoyed in moderation and below includes some low FODMAP options.
- Festive Low-FODMAP Strawberry Margarita Smoothie; Gluten-free, Vegan
- Low FODMAP sangria – Spanish sangria recipe | Karlijn’s Kitchen
- Low FODMAP Irish Cream Liqueur
- Easy Lemon Drop Martini Recipe
- Low FODMAP Strawberry Vodka Smash
Low FODMAP vegetarian recipes: BBQ
You may be wondering how to navigate BBQ season whilst on a low FODMAP vegetarian diet.
Without compromising your enjoyment of these occasions, you can put together a low FODMAP vegetarian spread for everyone to enjoy.
- BBQ Skewers Recipe with Tofu & Low FODMAP Vegetables
- Low FODMAP Chopped Spring Roll Noodle Salad
- Veggie Burgers
- Low FODMAP Veggie Burger (Vegan)
- Low FODMAP potato salad recipe
You may want to communicate with your guests about your dietary needs at this time.
Low FODMAP vegetarian christmas recipes
Following a low FODMAP and vegetarian diet over christmas can be tricky. But this does not mean it is impossible.
The key here is to plan ahead of time rather than feeling a little left out as you watch others tuck in.
Below we have shared suitable low FODMAP vegetarian recipes for the starters, main course, dessert and snacks.
To kick off the Christmas meal, lighter options such as soups are a common choice or maybe you opt for small bite sized snacks.
You could combine these with some of the party appetizers as mentioned previously to create more variety for you on the day.
- Low FODMAP broccoli soup
- Gluten free brie cranberry wreath with flaky pastry
- Parmesan, poppy seed & caraway twists recipe
- Low FODMAP risotto balls – Italian arancini
- Carrot Zucchini Soup with coconut milk (low FODMAP)
If you prefer traditional vegetarian recipes such as a nut roast or a vegetable wellington, ensure to replace onion and garlic.
Suitable options include:herbs and spices such as thyme, rosemary, ginger or parsley.
If the recipes call for breadcrumbs then just use a gluten free alternative which you easily make from gluten free bread or purchase ready made in the shop.
Below, we have provided some tasty low FODMAP vegetarian recipes for your main Christmas meal.
- A low FODMAP nut roast recipe (replace pistachios and cashews with chestnuts, almonds (<10/portion), walnuts, brazil nuts or pine nuts)
- Gluten free pumpkin tart with sage and goats cheese
- FODMAP friendly nut loaf (vegetarian, gluten free)
- Low FODMAP Mushroom Wellington
- Low FODMAP Vegetable Pie
Christmas dinner is not complete without the variety of side dishes. However, many traditional vegetarian recipes contain FODMAPs.
Unfortunately, traditional christmas pudding is off the menu due to its high FODMAP content from the dried fruits used.
Instead, why not try:
- Low FODMAP Christmas Pudding
- Low FODMAP creme brulee (gluten-free and lactose-free)
- Low FODMAP Gingerbread Men Cookies
- Low FODMAP Sticky Date Self Saucing Pudding
- Gluten-free fruit-free mince pies (FODMAP friendly)
Finding low FODMAP recipes that are tasty doesn’t need to be hard.
Nor should the experience of a low FODMAP diet as a vegetarian differ from any other dietary preferences.
Hopefully from this blog post you are inspired by the variety of food you are able to have whilst vegetarian on a low FODMAP diet!
Camilla Donaldson is a passionate UK qualified dietitian with a first-class post graduate diploma from Cardiff Metropolitan University. She is also a qualified REPS fitness instructor and is currently working as a band 5 Dietitian in North Wales.
Camilla is committed to supplying smart, quick and easy nutrition advice for individuals and group members to implement daily.
In addition to helping individuals, she works as a freelance nutrition writer here at the Food Treatment Clinic. Specialising in gastrointestinal disorders such as IBS, often busting nutrition myths!