Clinical hypnotherapy for IBS is a solution focused model of psychology. It focuses to directly target the times in your life where you get anxiety because your IBS symptoms and what they may do.
Why is this important? Because anxiety and stress will trigger your IBS symptoms, leaving you in a viscious cycle and unable to perform everyday tasks such as going to the supermarket.
Statistics show that in 80% of cases, IBS symptoms improve with clinical hypnotherapy. These figures are based on the Manchester Protocol.
In addition to clinical hypnotherapy, our therapist Judith Ward uses elements of psychotherapy to improve the success rate further.
During the sessions you will be taught some self-hypnosis techniques to use at home and some practical techniques on how to calm the body and the mind.
There is no judgement in the sessions and questions are asked in a positive solution focused coaching style.
The goal is to give you tools that you can use to manage your IBS long-term. This is not a quick fix which means you will need to see a therapist for months on end.
The contents of the sessions will vary depending on the individual’s needs. The above information has been included as a guide for booking sessions. During the discovery call you will be guided on how many sessions would be useful in your specific circumstances.
The Clinical Hypnotherapy for IBS Package Layout
Session 1 – initial session (60 mins)
- Detailed initial consultation covering your goals.
- Exploration of your experiences with IBS.
- Explanation of the brain and practical tips on how to train your brain for success.
- Creation of an individual protocol for you
- Homework – You will receive a relaxing hypnosis ritual to listen to at home.
Session 2 (60 mins)
- Review – What is going better?
- Brain based information update – understanding your mind to help you choose your response to a situation.
- Practical exercise to help you when you are feeling panicky.
- Solution focused coaching – guiding your brain in the direction you want it to take.
- Self-hypnosis session – To train your brain to relax and calm your body.
Sessions 3 and 4 (60 mins each)
- Review. What is going better?
- The topics covered will vary depending on the your needs. It could be on sleep, pain, or anxiety. Or to help you with trauma and delete any awful memories that are feeding into your mind.
- Solution focused coaching continued – guiding your brain in the direction you want it to take.
- A relaxing gut directed hypnosis session.