Pasta is easy-to-cook, filling, and wallet-friendly, so we understand that a low FODMAP pasta dish would be a great find if you are in the restriction phase of the low FODMAP diet.
In this article, you can find a list of the types of pasta you can have during the restriction phase of the low FODMAP diet. We will also discuss low FODMAP pasta substitutes and brands.
You can also find a list of low FODMAP pasta recipes to enjoy at your heart’s content and expand your repertoire of meals.
Is pasta low FODMAP?
Traditionally, pasta is made from wheat, which is high fructans, which are part of the oligosaccharides group (the O in ‘FODMAP’).
If you want to read more about fructans and where you can find them, you can read our post: Fructans – are you intolerant to them?
Although pasta does contain FODMAPs in the form of fructans, you can still have a small amount while on the restriction phase – up to 101g (cooked weight) (1).
The other good news is that with an increasing demand for non-wheat varieties of pasta, there is now a selection of suitable alternatives available in the grocery store.
Alternative Low FODMAP pasta options
You will see many alternatives to traditional wheat pasta in the shops now. If their ingredients are low FODMAP, then they are also suitable.
Some options we’ve seen in stores include:
- Buckwheat pasta
- Quinoa pasta
- Pea pasta
- Lentil pasta
- Brown rice pasta
- Soba noodles
- Chickpea pasta
- Barilla spinach sheets
- Rice noodles
You may also come across low FODMAP pasta labeled ‘wheat-free’ or ‘gluten-free.’
These kinds of pasta are usually made from a flour blend, such as tapioca and rice. They are typically low FODMAP, but make sure to check the ingredients.
Gluten-free pasta must have all of the wheat removed to class as gluten-free. The lack of wheat also means it contains no fructans, making it suitable for the low FODMAP diet.
However, gluten is a protein and does not trigger IBS symptoms directly, so you do not need to follow a gluten-free diet (unless you have celiac disease).
You can read more about gluten and IBS in our blog: Gluten and IBS: Unraveling the Connection.
Low FODMAP pasta brands
So many brands are selling low FODMAP pasta products online and in-store. You can use any variety of these as part of your low FODMAP pasta dishes.
Some brands that sell suitable products are:
- Tesco free from – penne pasta/fusilli pasta.
- Asda free from penne pasta.
- Ronzoni – Gluten-free thin spaghetti / Gluten free pasta
- Ancient Harvest – Ancient Harvest Quinoa Organic Elbow Pasta, Gluten-Free
- Barilla – Gluten-free pasta and spaghetti
- Tinkyada Brown Rice Lasagne with Rice Bran
- DeBoles – Gluten-free rice spaghetti pasta
- Jovial – Organic gluten-free brown rice pasta
- Gogo Quinoa – Organic vegan red and white macaroni pasta
Our top tips for buying low FODMAP pasta:
- Do not presume that something gluten-free is also low FODMAP – it may contain other high FODMAP ingredients.
- Check for other high FODMAP ingredients on the back of the food packet. Pay attention to flour blends, which might have high FODMAP ingredients.
Low FODMAP pasta alternatives
However, alternative low FODMAP pasta is often much more expensive than regular pasta, so you may want to consider using vegetables in its place.
Here are some examples of how you can do this:
- Courgetti: use a spiraliser or a potato peeler to create thin strips that resemble spaghetti. You can then use this in your recipes where you usually use spaghetti..
- Courgette sheets: cut thin sheets of courgette for an alternative to pasta sheets in foods like lasagna.
- Spaghetti squash: you can use this as a side dish or substitute for spaghetti or noodles.
Low FODMAP pasta bake recipes
A good pasta bake is a firm family favorite – simple, comforting food. But, many recipes contain multiple FODMAPs.
We have included some of our favorite low FODMAP recipes below, which the whole family can enjoy:
- Low FODMAP Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
- Creamy Tomato & Basil Pasta Bake
- Chicken & Gnocchi Pasta Bake
- Fody’s Low FODMAP Vegetable Baked Pasta
- The ULTIMATE Gluten Free Cheesy Pasta Bake Recipe
- ‘Cheesy’ gluten and dairy free pasta bake
- Baked Vegan Pesto Pasta
- Low FODMAP Pumpkin & Ricotta Pasta Bake
- Low FODMAP Chicken broccoli pasta bake recipe
- Super Deluxe Low FODMAP Baked Ziti
Low FODMAP pasta lunch recipes
If you’re looking for some lunch inspiration, a low FODMAP pasta salad may be a great option to increase variety.
You’ll be the talk of the office for all the right reasons with any of the following recipes:
- Low FODMAP BLT Pasta Salad
- Macaroni Slaw
- Low FODMAP Italian Pasta Salad
- Low FODMAP Cold Soba Salad with Greens
- Low FODMAP Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Low FODMAP Spicy Sichuan Noodles and Shrimp Salad
- Low FODMAP Asian Tofu Noodle Papaya Salad
- Low FODMAP Zoodles Noodles Sprouts Salad
- Zucchini Pasta with Cabbage & Parmesan Salad
Low FODMAP pasta recipes with meat
For a meal packed with protein as well as satisfying your pasta cravings, the below low FODMAP pasta recipes with meat are worth a try:
- Low FODMAP Spaghetti with Chicken and Cherry Tomatoes
- Low FODMAP Spaghetti Bolognese
- Low FODMAP Pork with Lemon Butter Pasta
- Low FODMAP Chicken & Bacon Ranch Mac and Cheese
- Low FODMAP Chili Mac
- Low FODMAP Thai Peanut Noodles
- Lemony Low FODMAP Carbonara
- Hearty Low FODMAP Lasagna
- Low FODMAP Quick Pasta with Chicken, Broccoli & Goats Cheese
Low FODMAP pasta recipes with seafood
For a lighter meal, or something a bit different, how about some low FODMAP pasta recipes with seafood?
We’ve included some recipes below:
- Low FODMAP Spicy Lemon Pasta with Shrimp
- Low FODMAP Hot and Sour Shrimp Lo Mein
- Creamy Pasta with Smoked Salmon, Lime & Dill
Vegetarian Low FODMAP pasta recipes
If you’re looking to pack in the veggies, or you’re vegetarian, some of the below recipes might take your fancy:
- Low FODMAP Soba Miso Soup with Bok Choy and Jammy Eggs
- Low FODMAP Pasta Primavera
- Low FODMAP Spicy Vodka Pasta
- Low-FODMAP pepper and mozzarella pesto pasta
Top tip: check out some of our pasta bake recipes too as some of these are vegetarian!
Low FODMAP pasta sauce recipes
Sauce is the backbone of any pasta dish, but most contain garlic and onion.
So that you can enjoy a low FODMAP pasta dish, a list of suitable pasta sauce options is given below. They are quick, simple, and easy-to-follow recipes to make your pasta dish yummy.
- Low FODMAP tomato sauce
- Low FODMAP tomato and basil pasta sauce
- Low FODMAP pesto sauce
- Creamy pumpkin sauce for pasta
You can have small amounts of regular wheat pasta during the elimination stage of the low FODMAP diet – up to 101g (cooked).
If you want more than 100g, there are multiple alternative pasta options available in grocery stores such as gluten-free pasta or lentil pasta.
You can still enjoy a variety of pasta dishes on the low FODMAP diet. The recipes given above should help meet your pasta needs or maybe entice you to try something new!
Annabelle is a registered dietitian who has a special interest in the complex interplay between gut health and mental health. In her NHS role, Annabelle specialises in mental health and learning disabilities, seeing patients in hospital for their mental health as well as supporting people in the community. Annabelle has also been working with the Food Treatment Clinic as one of our writers since she was a dietetics student.
Last updated on November 29th, 2023 at 11:55 am