Updated June 2022 by Serena Bansal BSc Hons RD
Eaten straight out of the oven – this sticky ginger cake is the ultimate comfort food!
It is a safe alternative for any FODMAPer, individuals with a dairy allergy/intolerance or those with coeliac disease.
60g Pure Dairy Free Olive Spread (or alternative dairy free spread)
75g of maple syrup
1 teaspoon of Doves Farm bicarbonate of soda (or alternative gluten free option)
1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum
1.5 teaspoons of ground ginger
150g of caster sugar
125g of white gluten free flour (again I used Dove’s)
0.5 teaspoons of mixed spice
125mls of almond milk
1 medium egg beaten
- Preheat the oven to 160 º C and line a loaf cake tin
- In a small sauce pan, slowly heat the spread and golden syrup together until the spread has all melted, then take off the hob and set to one side. Be careful not to burn the golden syrup.
- In a seperate bowl, add all the dry ingredients together and mix.
- Now pour in the syrup mixture gradually and mix gently as you go, so there are no lumps.
- Finally, slowly add the egg and milk and mix to ensure no lumps are in the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin and allow to bake for around 47 minutes (on until cooked the whole way through).
- Allow to set in the cake tin for a few minutes.
© The Food Treatment Clinic LTD 2017. All Rights Reserved.